Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Gordon Parks

Ingrid Bergman at Stromboli, Italy, 1949, by Gordon Parks

I had a great sense of curiosity 
and a great sense of just wanting to achieve, 
I just forgot I was black 
and walked in and asked for a job 
and tried to be prepared for what I was asking for.

Gordon Parks

My interest in Gordon Parks was renewed this week, when I posted one of his photos on Facebook, and a friend mentioned meeting him in New York. Parks was the first African-American to work as a staff photographer for Life magazine, and the first black artist to produce and direct a major Hollywood film, The Learning Tree, 1969, adapted from his autobiographical novel.

He developed a large following as a photographer for Life for more than 20 years, and by the time he was 50, he ranked among the most influential image makers of the postwar years. In the 1960s he began to write memoirs, novels, poems and screenplays, which led him to directing films. In addition to The Learning Tree, he directed the popular action films Shaft and Shaft's Big Score! In 1970 he helped found Essence magazine, and was its editorial director from 1970 to 1973.

At Life Mr. Parks also used his camera for less politicized, more conventional ends, photographing the socialite Gloria Vanderbilt, who became his friend; a fashionable Parisian in a veiled hat puffing hard on her cigarette, and Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rossellini at the beginning of their notorious love affair.

On his own time, he photographed female nudes in a style of Baroque painting, experimented with double-exposed color film, and recorded pastoral scenes evoking the pictorial style of early twentieth century art photography.




Source: The New York Times

12 comments:

  1. We are the lucky beneficiaries of having the Gordon Parks in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon Parks was a wonderfully gifted photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic Willow Manor post, Tess. I must investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't 'Stromboli' the most inviting name. Strom-bo-li! I can just picture myself in a shaded bar in San Vincenzo, sipping a cool beer and watching the fishing boats go by. In Strom-bo-li!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update on Gordon Parks, I went to Stromboli once...lots of good memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cro, when I hear Stromboli, after the hunger pangs subside, I think of the bad guy in Pinocchio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great posting I have read. I like your article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the details on Gordon Parks. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn! He captures the entire film in that one shot of Ingrid. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phil, you're so right...it's an amazing capture...the whole story is told in one shot...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the privilege of working with Gordon Parks three times before he died. His photographs for Life are the reason I went into journalism in the first place. I first met him when I was a young reporter at Life magazine in the mid 80s, and I can honestly say, it was the only time I've felt awestruck at meeting a particular person. He was an amazing human being, very kind and forthcoming when I interviewed him, and later, when he shot a magazine cover of a story I wrote on a girl in a gang. thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent Mrs. TK. thank you for this bit of jewelled wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Inject a few raisins of conversation into the tasteless dough of existence.
― O. Henry (and me)