It's that time of year to start enjoying the earthy succulence of slow cooked meat and vegetables. My wonderful artist friend, Mary Ann, was asking about the short ribs on my sidebar last week. It happens to be a favorite here at the manor. The sweetness of the corn polenta pairs nicely with the wine and tomato sauce. If you're not a big fan of polenta, like I am, it's also as delicious served with rice or mashed potatoes. This one is super fabulous, take my word for it.
Short Ribs with Cheesy Polenta
4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups frozen pearl onions or 1 large onion chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 can, 14.5 oz., diced tomatoes
3/4 cup low sodium beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley or 2 Tbsp dried
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 cup quick cooking polenta
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Regiano
1. Combine carrot, onions and garlic in 6 qt. stock pot
2. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Brown ribs in oil on all sides and transfer to pot.
3. Stir together tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, cornstarch and tomato paste in a bowl; pour over ribs, add bay leaf, cover and cook 275 degrees for 4 hours or until meat is tender. Skim off fat. Discard bay leaf.
4. Combine 3 3/4 cups water, the polenta and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add cheese and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Serve ribs over polenta and garnish with parsley, if desired.This is also great in the crock pot, 9-11 hours on low or 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours on high. Serves 4.