Thursday, February 27, 2014

My DNA results...accidentally on purpose...


Last week the results from my mtDNA (maternal line) test arrived. My maternal Great-Great Grandmother was said to have been full-blood Cherokee. Like most Native American roots, it's hard to document on paper. Family Tree DNA already had my sample, so all I had to do was order an upgrade.

After eight weeks of anticipation, the results finally came in, not only confirming my Native American heritage from my mother's line, but also an unexpected percent of Ukrainian!  My main maternal links in order of percentage are: English, Irish, and Native American.

The Ukrainian connection explains a lot...my love of winter, melancholy, poetry, Russian icons, vodka...and maybe even why I recently bought a vintage student accordion, which I am slowly learning how to play. I find this all very fascinating.



* I snapped this pic accidentally on purpose


10 comments:

  1. I could have saved you a load of money and told you all that just from your photo, Tess, but you wouldn't have believed me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is why you are fascinating, a fine poet and have such great taste! Love your blog Tess, it is lovely and I am glad to have found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz...I'm trying to post more often...

      Delete
  3. We shall now expect to see you 'down the pub', drinking Guinness, and smoking a peace pipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it no surprise Guinness is my favorite beer? Now I just need the pipe...

      Delete
  4. I love Ukrainian people, they need our support right now ... I have visited their churches and i am so grateful for that . . . I love their traditions of Easter, their white embroidery, the entire Christian culture! I love the fact that you search for your roots and embrace them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always embraced my inner Ukrainian...I just didn't know why...

      Delete
  5. What a fascinating heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been away from Blogger and on FB too long: where's the "like" button? Interesting photo! And interesting DNA results. I had mine tested a few years ago and found out that I'm 16% Native American!

    ReplyDelete

Inject a few raisins of conversation into the tasteless dough of existence.
― O. Henry (and me)