Thursday, May 31, 2012

Double Score!


artist proof, to Phyllis, 1978, by J. W. Rice
(click to embiggen)
I scored big at G-Dub (my local Goodwill store) this week. Not only did I find a brand new pair of Bass penny loafers, just like the ones Audrey Hepburn wore, for $4, I stumbled onto a gorgeous engraving or etching print. It's an artist proof, "to Phyllis", and signed by the artist J. W. Rice, '78, for $19. Beautifully framed, too, just how I would like it.

I did some poking around online, but didn't come up with anything much about the artist.  I hope someone out there will eventually help me out.  It's a lovely loose portrait of an older gentleman with longish 70s hair and a rumpled jacket; perfect now in the manor dining room. Anybody recognize him? He was lurking in the Goodwill store in Dublin, Ohio.

this is before I inserted two perfectly mellow 70s pennies

15 comments:

  1. You have the best finds....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shoes, girl! Love the A. Hepburn connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not heard of J W Rice, but from looking at the picture, I can certainly say 'he knew what he was doing'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll follow your lead and head for the Goodwill tomorrow. I hope I have at least a bit of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fine result. Love the loafers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds, indeed! :-)

    Love those loafers.

    You are either loved or feared at that store! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, those new pennies don't have the 'feel' do they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suki: I seriously want her cute jacket and bicycle too...oh and what the hell...throw in the doggy too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne Rice's brother? I sense the style is that of Leonardo. Definitely has that vibe. Classy loafers~!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want to come to your estate sale someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Goodwills in Memphis sort of suck. But I occasionally find a good cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always score the greatest finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely ankles you have, Tess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to look up 'penny loafers'. So now I wonder how you attached the 70's pennies and where. You will soon need to extend the manor to accommodate future Godwill goodies!
    PS. I am in the market for a bicycle with a basket. Haven't seen one for ages.

    ReplyDelete

Inject a few raisins of conversation into the tasteless dough of existence.
― O. Henry (and me)