I have been tagged several times recently for the "25 random things
about myself" meme and didn't post because I thought it was a bit
overboard on the randomness. But my new bloggy friend, Denese ,
finally coaxed me into it. So, for your complete reading pleasure, here
are 25 totally random things, in no particular order, rhyme or reason.
And since there are so many, I'll try to keep each one short and sweet.
1. I adore winter, snow and cold weather. If I had a choice, I would
move even farther north.
2. I have a favorite pair of bright red woolly slippers with a delightful
circular design stitched into the tops of each. I wear them every day.
3. On my desk is a 1937 British Royalty coronation commemorative
beaker filled with freshly sharpened pencils.
4. I like my things to be mellow and a little bit worn.
5. I like orderliness, but must have a certain amount of clutter
about me, like a nest. I collect things like a magpie.
6. I am drawn to heads. I have busts, masks, and wig forms
(random heads) around the manor. Some of them wear quirky hats,
since I adore hats, as well.
7. My uncle calls me Duchess, Duch for short.
8. I have an old hotel desk bell on my desk and like to ring it
when a great idea comes to mind. ((ding)) It rings a nice clear "a
major". I have perfect pitch, by the way. I can hear a note, tell you
what it is, but can't, for the life of me, make my voice sing it.
9. My computer desk is an old oak drafting table from a pre-war
school in Kansas City.
10. My feet are always perfectly groomed with red nail polish, but
I pick my fingernails.
11. I was once a licensed sign language interpreter for the deaf.
12. I love foreign film and like to practice my phrases out loud as I
13. Even though I am not of the Catholic faith, I collect religious
icons. I love their artistic beauty, history and symbolism. I would
say that I am not a religious person, but a very spiritual one.
14. My current favorite dinner plates are vintage Mason's ironstone,
Bow Bells pattern.
15. I majored in fine art in college; minor was psychology.
16. One of my favorite pieces of jewelry is a vintage gold St. Francis
of Assisi medal, which I wear on a chain.
17. Did you know my daughter is an opera singer?
18. My Collected Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay is always with me.
19. I like to sleep in one hundred percent cotton men's pajamas.
20. My eight years of piano lessons didn't "take", but in my dreams
I can play like Van Cliburn.
21. I am an avid genealogy buff and have spent the last five years
researching and logging stats for over 6000 ancestors into my file.
My Scotch Irish paternal sixth great grandfather had a close and
enduring friendship with Thomas Jefferson and my maternal
second great grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee.
22. Recently, I've had to give up my beloved ultra strong coffee and
replaced it with decaf tea. Tea is fine, but I sure do miss my cuppa.
23. I have a shoe thing. A whole wall in my closet is devoted to
shoes. But the older I get, my feet have become so sensitive, I end
up wearing only a few of my favorite standbys; especially my soft,
camel colored suede, pointy toed mules.
24. I always keep a vase of fresh flowers nearby. I consider it an
investment in loveliness.
25. I've been to Japan, England, Poland, Germany and Canada, but
I'm not really much of a traveler. I like it once I arrive, but then
I'm ready to return after several days. For me, there's no place
So, there you have it, bloggy friends, I'm sure you are completely
randomed out now! I'm not going to tag anyone in particular, but
please feel free to post your own 25 randoms!
Oh, and by the way, David over at Authorblog has written one of
his delightfully fun little ditties in his regular "Verse and Worse" posts
about Willow Manor today! Go over and check it out!