Tuesday, April 24, 2012

You say lustreware...I say lusterware...


A glint of shiny copper caught my eye, among the jars and glassware on the housewares shelf at G-Dub (my local Goodwill store) last week. Magpies always go for the glitter. Sure enough, it was a little copper lusterware creamer; a total steal for $2.99.  (Sorry, I was hasty with the Goo Gone, and forgot to leave the wax pencil-marked price for all to enjoy.) Lusterware or lustreware, as our English friends like to spell it, is pottery or porcelain, with metallic oxides in the glaze, that give the effect of iridescence.

After a little research, I found this creamer was older than I suspected, dating from about 1810 to 1840, when most of the overall luster pieces were produced. The chip on the spout actually gives a clue to its origin, exposing the rough, red earthenware clay, used to make these pieces in England. The copper pieces are the most common, followed by silver, and then gold, the more rare and collectible. I now have one piece of each, in my  collection of three. The silver pieces were sometimes known as "poor man's silver", a shiny, inexpensive substitute for the real thing, back in the day.

Gibsons, Staffordshire, lusterware, silver
Wedgwood, Fallow Deer pattern, lusterware, gold

21 comments:

  1. I remember seeing pieces of lustreware in Grans china cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo nice! I know what you mean...when I get my stash home..I rush to clean it..so as to make it sparkle in my hands and on my shelf...I would have tripped you over this one......good find gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some pink lustreware...an old cup and saucer perhaps from 1850
    its very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anyone ever doubted that you were the coolest chick EVER, I just have one word for them now.

    BOO-YAHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I suspect I may have seen it in my grandmother's cabinets before they were thrown away or donated to charity or something like that. Yes, appearances and respectability counted for much in upwardly mobile lower middle class Britain in the nineteenth century.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a fabulous find. The three, I assume, will be displayed together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, my shiny stuff is scattered...I have some vintage mercury glass too...I like to mix things up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lustreware. I have several cream and sugar sets and a couple of old vases. Love it!! Thanks for visiting me Tess and becoming a follower. It means a lot to me. Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  9. You say lusterware; I say lust . . . er, where?

    "Is that what one should expect from a Bear?" you ask. Why, yes it is. Bearly

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have a few similar pieces myself; usually with some extra pattern. That's a goodie, and only 3 bucks? Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What amazing goodies you found, and I especially like the poor man's silver (anything really) even more so than gold! Such an interesting collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've got a couple of little jugs like this - in miniature - but nonetheless charming. Place it where the light can do its work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely lovely - what an exciting find.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What beautiful objects! Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty - sounds like a good deal. K.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I must be a magpie too as I do love that shiny lusterware!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, what a find! I love things that have blemishes and in this case the chip should not affect its beauty. Your other pieces are lovely as well, but I think I prefer this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a great find! You most certainly have a good eye...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Each piece is lovely. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am in love with lusterware. I have been lucky enough to find tea sets (incomplete, but delightful nonetheless) in periwinkle, pink, and light green.
    My lusterware cup runneth over. :)

    GREAT find on the beautiful creamer!

    ~ Diane

    ReplyDelete

Inject a few raisins of conversation into the tasteless dough of existence.
― O. Henry (and me)